Our guests today are definitely successful in their chosen fields. Sam and Paddy have been married for over two decades now, but it wasn’t always rainbows and butterflies. Many (most?) married couples can relate. Listen in on the three of us as we chat to find out how they fought to save their marriage, what each one of them compromised, and what the discoveries were that made their relationship better and stronger.
About Sam and Patrick Cullinane
Authors Sam and Patrick have been married for over 20 years and they would tell you they are one of the happiest couples they know. But they weren’t always this happy. After 10 years of marriage, they were ready to sign the divorce papers. During the first 10 years of their marriage, they struggled through like most people do: trying to navigate life together without any real tools, fighting often, having less sex, and falling out of love. In their 10th year of marriage, they decided to file for divorce. After a year apart, against all of the odds, they decided to get back together. This time, they recognized the things each of them brought to the relationship—good and bad. Both made changes to successfully start their next chapter and for the last 10 years they’ve grown their love and created an amazing life together. They became students of love and the security of their strong relationship have allowed each of them to flourish. They recently built and sold a business together, wrote a book about relationships called Bigger Love – How to Have the Love of Your Life for the Rest of Your Life, Sam wrote and released an album, and they continue to run multiple successful businesses together.
Now, they have a mission of sharing and teaching Bigger Love and they recognize they’ll need effective social media as a strategy to spread the word. But…ugh. Social media = overwhelming, negative, and frustrating. Let’s solve this dilemma!
Sam’s Top 5 StrengthsFinder Themes:
Patrick’s Top 5 StrengthsFinder Themes:
- The meaning of life is love.
- We’re always growing. If you ever think you’ve arrived, that’s when you know you’re in the biggest trouble.
- A really great marriage can’t have space for complacency.
- We have to feed our strengths in order to let them thrive.
- We need to achieve a certain level of visibility in order to get through the door.
- Social media is the bane of most entrepreneurs’ existences…but it doesn’t have to be. Use your Strengths to face it!
Time-Stamped Show Highlights
- [02:40] What prompted Sam and Patrick to write their book, and they share what their bigger vision is.
Look at anything that’s wrong with the world. There’s not enough love and that’s why it is wrong.
It’s almost impossible to define it but just thinking about that, acting on it, and being loving is love.
- [09:16] The best things Sam and Patrick bring to the table in both their marital and business relationship.
- [17:47] The exciting next thing for Sam and Patrick.
- [19:51] Challenges, resolutions, and Alissa’s best tips and tricks.
We’ve been trying to get involved in the social media and being excited about that. We just haven’t been able to.
- [29:15] Digging deep into the resistance in engaging via social media, and what to do when met with one.
Keeping that mission for most in your mind as you’re creating any post, and then recognizing that momentum does take time.
- [31:06] Building strategies
Start to recognize what some of those fears are and then start to build strategies around it.
- [39:15] Podcast recommendation of the week!
Selected Links for This Episode
- Bigger Love Website
- Bigger Love Book Facebook Page
- Free chapter of Bigger Love
- THW Marketing
- Connect with Sam and Patrick on Twitter
- Podcast of the Week: Social Media Marketing with Michael Stelzner
Frickin’ Awesome Resources
- Frickin’ Awesome Entrepreneurs Facebook Community
- Bigger Love: How to Have the Love of Your Life for the rest of Your Life by Patrick and Sam Cullinane