Our guest today is someone who’s struggled between being a good mom and running a business. This is very much an all too familiar territory for a lot of moms, not just our guest today. In this episode, we will open doors for you and make you realize that having a family to attend to whilst wanting a successful business shouldn’t be a cause for guilt. I am sure that we will learn a lot from someone who’s been through what most of us have. Let’s go get our learn on from Dana’s nuggets of wisdom.
Listen in now!
About Dana Malstaff
Dana Malstaff is the CEO and Founder of Boss Mom. She is a mother, author, business strategist, podcaster, blind spot reducer, and movement maker. She is the author of Boss Mom: The Ultimate Guide to Raising a Business & Nurturing Your Family Like a Pro.
Dana’s Top 5 StrengthsFinder Themes:
- Get up in the morning and do what you’re happy doing.
- Understand that a course is not a business.
- It’s not enough to get one person’s feedback about a new course, product or service. “You need different settings, and different mediums, and different times with different people giving you the same answer.”
- Get in, get your hands dirty, do coaching, do talk with people, connect with people, help people.
- It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been in business or how much money you’re making, you can still know your ideal client better.
- Understand what you’re delegating before you delegate it.
- You will find that it’s very hard to get negative feedback when you approach everybody with respect.
Time-Stamped Show Highlights
- [02:43] Dana’s 30-second history of how she came to be the Boss Mom.
- [09:51] Dana shares with us her brilliance in designing her courses that actually meet the community’s needs.
You have to know where your course content supports in the line of what your business does.
- [15:23] Alissa gives us a rundown on what Dana’s Strength Themes are and emphasizes what strength themes really are.
Your strength themes are not your what, not your why, it’s how you go about doing whatever it is you do.
- [16:28] Alissa learns a concept from Dana herself.
Don’t farm out all of your strategy of who you are and what you’re doing to some person who isn’t you.
- [23:46] Dana can do almost all things except this one non-strength she discovered through epic fails.
- [28:59] The point in hiring a life coach.
- [30:30] The things Dana tells everybody when it comes to videos.
Come into it with respect, humility, and recognize that it’s not about you.
- [32:08] Alissa shares Brene Brown’s biggest teachings
Respect is so important. remember that everyone is just human.
- [35:33] Dana’s take on Brene Brown’s vulnerability talk.
The biggest driver to success in people is the feeling that they are deserving of love
- [38:15] Dana’s turning point that made her own amazingness.
When you value yourself more, you’re gonna value everybody else and their time.
Selected Links for This Episode
- Dana’s Website
- Connect with Dana on Facebook
- Connect with Dana on LinkedIn
- Connect with Dana on Instagram
- Brene Brown: The power of Vulnerability TED Talk
- Podcast of the Week: Fatherhood for the Rest of Us with Brandon Handley