Your “why” should make you cry—really tap into that thing that is really the life force for you and why you are here and why you should step up to do the things that you want to do.
– Shawn Stevenson
Today Shawn Stevenson joins the Maximize Your Strength podcast to speak about how your Strengths can help you truly succeed. By taking care of your body, you can get out there and do the work you dream of.
About Shawn Stevenson
Shawn is a bestselling author and creator of The Model Health Show, which is featured as the #1 health podcast on iTunes with millions of listener downloads each year. A graduate of The University of Missouri – St. Louis, Shawn studied business, biology, and kinesiology, and went on to be the founder of Advanced Integrative Health Alliance, a company that provides wellness services for individuals and organizations worldwide.
Shawn has been featured in Entrepreneur magazine, Men’s Health magazine, ESPN, FOX News, and many other major media outlets. He is also a frequent keynote speaker for numerous organizations, universities, and conferences.
Shawn’s Top 5 StrengthsFinder Strengths
- Self-doubt and disempowerment can completely disable you.
- Shawn says, “We are great at getting results for what we don’t want.” Step back and see whether what you are doing is actually working.
- Command has a presence. It can come in and take control of a situation.
- During the 1900s, about 95% of all physician visits were for acute infections, childbirth and injuries. Today, over 90% of all physician visits are for stress-related illnesses. But less than 20% of those patients leave with an actual plan in which to deal with that stress.
- Your relationships heavily influence your success in life, your happiness and your health.
- We don’t believe what we say we believe! The reality is, if you truly believe what you are saying, then your limits are irrelevant! You have this infinite capacity, but you have to really “buy” into your belief.
Listen in now!
Time-Stamped Show Highlights
This was a catalyst for me. Learning provided a bridge for me to learning a new reality.
- [8:22] – Suppressing your innate Strengths
It can come in different forms or fashions. Maybe it can be a tragic event, an illness, or making a wrong turn.
- [9:30] – Shawn’s experience with his physicians
I decided that I was going to get well. For that, I had to take 100% responsibility for my life. I could not put it back onto the doctors … Taking responsibility opened up that learning desire in me again.
- [11:33] – Command, for Shawn
- [12:55] – Reframing your life to reignite your Strengths
- [14:08] – How Shawn empowers his clients
People just want to be understood. Listening to their concerns and their idea about what their situation could mean. I help them look at how they got here and to reverse engineer their illness. I empower them in many different angles to make things less scary.
- [19:31] – Learning from bad or negative experiences
Think external of our circumstances to embrace and appreciate what we have, of course, but it is also our duty here in life to become the best that we can possibly be.
What we look at, we are going to get more of … Everything you do will affirm and give your belief legs … The more you can be congruent in your new beliefs, that is really where the work is.
- [31:56] – Building a new belief system
When the opportunity presents itself, act! Immerse yourself! Have yourself immersed in positive messages that affirm your Strengths and your goals and your mission in life. You can put that on 24/7 in your life—it has no choice but to change the physical structure of your brain.
- [34:06] – Hesitancy to act
- [35:32] – Shawn’s book, “Sleep Smarter”
- [37:31] – Final thoughts from Shawn
One of the biggest culprits that deprives you of your brain function is sleep deprivation. Optimize your sleep cycles; sleep smarter!