Today we talk about the value of Strengths with Mike Kim, host of the Brand You podcast.
About Mike Kim
In addition to hosting the Brand You podcast, Mike Kim is a marketing consultant, communications strategist and copywriter. His consulting services include content marketing, business development and new media.
Mike has an upcoming course, Pivot, that I can’t wait to share with you! Listen to the podcast to learn more.
Mike’s Top 5 StrengthsFinder Strengths
- A common misuse of StrengthsFinder, and other personality tests, is that people will turn Strengths into labels.
- Maximizer likes to take something that is good and make it even better. On its own, it doesn’t create things easily—Maximizers often need to partner with folks with Ideation and other similar Strengths.
- Those with Intellection enjoy intense mental activity and deep thinking—they tend to be introverted.
- If you are making a huge transition in your working life, you need accountability. It is hard to initiate and sustain on your own. You need to surround yourself with people who can help you keep moving forward.
Listen in Now!
Time-Stamped Show Highlights
- [3:48] – Mike’s view on personality tests
StrengthsFinder and other tests help you put a name—not a label—to what you are. It helps you identify, anchor and recognize what you’re doing and why you’re doing those things.
- [4:22] – Naming versus labeling and the misuse of StrengthsFinder
Labels lock you in and lock out opportunities.
- [9:10] – Mike’s Maximizer at work
- [14:29] – How Positivity and Harmony combine for Mike
- [15:01] – Where Intellection shows up for Mike
- [17:24] – How introverts and extroverts get energized
Whoever you are and however you reenergize, that’s okay. Embrace it and give yourself what you need.
- [21:04] – Mike’s mix of themes
- [21:52] – How Mike uses Strengths to consult with his clients
- [23:50] – An introduction to Mike’s Pivot Course
When you make a pivot athletically, that involves jumping to a spot, planting one foot and sweeping the other foot to reposition yourself. That is what I teach my students. What is it we can anchor down, and what can we do to make that a pivot point to turn your body in a completely different direction?
- [31:24] – Final thoughts from Mike
Keep believing in what you’re doing and do not apologize for your Strengths!