Joining us to talk about the Strengths movement is Gallup’s Director of Talent Sourcing, Jim Collison.
About Jim Collison
As Director of Talent Sourcing, Jim oversees both the College and High School internship programs year round, in addition to a plethora of daily activities. He’s the host, producer and Strengths Community Manager for Gallup’s “Called to Coach” and “Theme Thursday” webcasts.
Outside of Gallup, Jim is a self-proclaimed IT geek. He’s the host of The Average Guy Network and the weekly Home Gadget Geeks Podcast. He is also a regular co-host on the Ask the Podcast Coach podcast.
Jim’s Top 5 StrengthsFinder Strengths
- StrengthsFinder isn’t just for business—it has a great applicability beyond that. It has the ability to empower children, decrease divorce rates, and build business relationships.
- The key to Strengths is doing what you do in a way that makes you comfortable and happy.
- At the end of the day you will not be successful 100 percent of the time. But if you have a high quality of life, you will feel successful.
- Strengths are not the be-all, end-all. Incorporate them with your beliefs, your values and your daily actions for greatest impact on your life and the lives of those around you.
Listen in Now!
Time-Stamped Show Highlights
I came across the book 10 years ago, and as soon as I took the test I took the results home and told my wife that we had to parent this way. I changed the way I talked to my children. I changed the way I disciplined my kids and how we put our kids into activities. It was far more valuable as a parent at the time than it was at work.
- [13:33] – Using Strengths in parenting
A recent book, Strengths Based Parenting, can revolutionize how you parent. Focus on what your kids are best at!
- [16:15] – Using Strengths in marriage
It gives you the framework to have some great discussions and improve your relationship.
- [18:58] – Getting beyond Strengths inoculation
Strengths isn’t one and done. Make time for this. Hang up your Strengths so everyone sees them.
- [20:49] – About the results of the new themes frequency report
The most common themes that reported out are Achiever, Responsibility and Learner.
- [25:21] – Identifying your own success through your Strengths
Dig deep to determine what success means to you.
- [31:30] – Identifying your values for greater application of your StrengthsFinder themes
Your values are key to unlocking the full potential of your themes.
Selected Links for This Episode
- Connect with Jim on LinkedIn
- Follow Jim on Twitter
- The Average Guy online
- Ask the Podcast Coach
- Home Server Show online
- Themes frequency report