Our guest today is Dr. Colleen Mullen, Psy.D, LMFT, a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist in San Diego, CA. We are taking the opportunity to talk about her budding business partnership; we will learn how the two of them are using Strengths to create synergy.
About Dr. Colleen Mullen Psy.D, LMFT
Colleen is the founder of Coaching Through Chaos, a private practice and also a popular podcast. Additionally, she is the cohost of the Shrink 2 Shrink Podcast, which looks at the psychology behind popular movies.
Dr. Mullen specializes in helping people transition through addictions and trauma, but has a special love for helping people transform themselves through their relationships and communication with others. Her clinical work and writing has been featured on many platforms. Links to some of her articles and interviews are below.
Colleen’s Top 5 StrengthsFinder Strengths
- You lean into your top 10—or even 15—Strengths on a fairly regular basis.
- We figure out ways to get things done with the Strengths we have.
- Your Strengths are the “how” of reaching a goal—in a team, you each use your different Strengths in synergy to reach your combined goal.
- StrengthsFinder is a game changer if applied with an expansive mindset, curiosity and respect to your co-working spaces.
When you are more self-aware and you understand how you are wired, you can let go of that self-judgment and accept who you are. It can also help you bring in other people around you who are different from you, and for you to appreciate those differences.
Listen in now!
Time-Stamped Show Highlights
- [2:58] – What led Colleen to take StrengthsFinder
I took this because of a budding business relationship I’m pursuing. My partner uses StrengthsFinder and asked me to go online to take the test. When I saw my Strengths, I saw a lot of big vision. It all really connected with me as far as how I orient myself as a therapist.
- [7:53] – Colleen’s business partner’s Strengths
Maximizer, Relator, Strategic, Learner and Input
StrengthsFinder is often misapplied when it is used as a hiring tool to look solely at Strengths to build your team.
Where I get stuck sometimes is where I want to do everything all the time. I “over idea” myself to death and start to feel inadequate.
- [25:51] – The relationship between Maximizer and Activator
Activator and Maximizer can work really beautifully together. Activator doesn’t typically care about the details too much—it just gets moving. Maximizer isn’t always fantastic at creating something brand new, but once there’s something existing, it knows how to make something better.
Toxic triggers are things that send us from zero to sixty. It’s important to know what those triggers are so you can step back from the emotions of it all to better handle difficult situations.
- [33:52] – The science behind StrengthsFinder
Selected Links for the Episode
- Coaching Through Chaos
- Follow Colleen on Twitter
- Like Coaching Through Chaos on Facebook
- Highlighted articles
- Podcast interviews